LDS and FLDS Polygamy Angelic Origins
Posted by skiutah on Friday, January 9, 2009
Twelve young girls (ages 12 to 15) were found to be married to older FLDS men: Young FLDS Brides
Here’s a linke to the history of Mormon Polygamy: Mormon Polygamy Timeline
Here’s a diagram that details the various polygamous sects that splintered off from Joseph Smith and the LDS church: Polygamy Leadership Tree
The diagram displays the lineage of polygamy from Warren Jeffs back to the founder of polygamy, Joseph Smith.
Joseph Smith and Warren Jeffs share many traits:
– Both married to multiple teenage girls.
– Both used the line “God commanded them to practice polygamy” to get teenage girls into bed with them.
– Both showed classic symptoms of grandiose delusional disorder.
– Both did time in jail for breaking the law.
If young Fanny Alger hadn’t tempted Joseph Smith we wouldn’t have this sticky wicket.
Or if that pesky angel with a sword hadn’t demanded that Joseph Smith jump-start polygamy: “Some people have supposed that the doctrine of plural marriage was a sort of superfluity, or non-essential, to the salvation or exaltation of mankind…But he did not falter, although it was not until an angel of God, with a drawn sword, stood before him; and commanded that he should enter into the practice of that principle, or he should be utterly destroyed…” Joseph F. Smith, JD 20:29
Imagine going to your spouse with that story… “uhh, honey, an angel with a sword stopped by today and said the darndest thing…”
Does the LDS church not teach its history to members? I have talked with Mormons who are unaware of:
– Joseph Smith’s revelation on polygamy is recorded in D&C 132, and is still part of LDS canon
– Joseph Smith practiced polygamy and polyandry (verifiable on an LDS website, familysearch.org)
– Mormon men today can still be sealed and married to more than one woman (if the current spouse dies), and in heaven the Mormon man will have a polygamous relationship with these multiple women he was sealed to in a Mormon temple
Many LDS members state that the FLDS church has no relation to the LDS church. How is that possible?
– Both LDS and FLDS believe that Joseph Smith, Brigaham Young, and John Taylor were prophets who communicated directly with God.
– Both LDS and FLDS believe in the Book of Mormon and other LDS canon.
– Both LDS and FLDS believe that Joseph Smith introduced polygamy as a new and everlasting covenant (D&C 132).
– Both LDS and FLDS believe that the other churches have apostasized and that only they contain the complete truth.